Research Data & Downloads
Research on this site highlights the life-cycle, sustainable, landfill-avoidance, and carbon benefits of designing and specifying wood packaging. Through the Pallet Foundation, additional research will be added to the site when complete, so please check back often.
Wood is Nature’s Packaging. The library provides links to research studies, articles, websites, and other tools on frequently requested topics. The items on this site have been selected and reviewed by industry experts, all sourced from reliable, credible resources. These papers may be downloaded, forwarded, or distributed to business colleagues.
Nature’s Packaging Logo Download
Nature’s Packaging logo is available for download by members of CWPCA, NWPCA or WPA. These member companies may use the logo and market Nature’s Packaging on their stationery, business cards, email signature lines or company website. Learn more here.
Papers, Articles, Website References
- Environmental Product Declaration (EPD) for Wooden Pallets (UL, 2020)
- Pallet Market Survey. Investigation of New & Recovered Shipping Platforms in the USA. Peer-reviewed article in the Bioresources Journal. March 2020
- Economic Impact Study Shows Wood Packaging Industry Supports 173,000 Jobs in USA (Manufacturing Institute’s Center for Manufacturing Research in partnership with INFORUM)
- Study Shows 95% of Wooden Pallets are Recycled (VA Tech, 2018)
- Aviat – Microbial Safety of Wood in Contact with Food (Institute of Food Technologists, Vol. 15, 2016)
- Report on the Impact of American’s Biobased Products Industry
- National Report on Sustainable Forests – 2010 (USDA June 2011)
- The Current State of Wood Reuse and Recycling in North America and Recommendations for Improvements (Dovetail Partners, May 2013)
- American Hardwood Export Council’s Life Cycle Assessment of Rough-sawn Kiln-dried Hardwood Lumber (July 2012)
- Canadian and American Wood Council’s Environmental Product Declaration (April 2013)
- The Impact of Wood Use on North American Forests. (Educational content sponsored by reThink Wood)
- A Marketing Guide for Small and Medium Sized Primary Forest Products Processors (USDA June 2008)
- North American Wood Waste Forum. Summary of Group Feedback, February 2–3, 2012 (USDA, July 2012)
- Pallet Re-Use and Recycling Saves High Value Material from Landfills (College of Natural Resources, Engagement Matters)
- The Role of Pallets in Microbial Food Safety (Food Protection Trends, October 2010)
- Value-Added Wood Products Marketing Guide for Manufacturers and Entrepreneurs (USDA January 2010)
- Wood and Carbon Footprint (Woodworks 2011)
- The Wood Handbook. Wood as an Engineering Material (US Forest Products Lab)